Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The Archived by Victoria Schwab

Egads! She is risen! For all one of you that may be reading this, I dropped off the face of the earth (or just this blog) for a while. Since then, I have traveled all over Europe, seen natural wonders of the world, and read a crap ton of books. I'm going to be posting a couple reviews from what I've read, and then will do my best to keep it up from then on. It's not like I'm gonna run out of books any time soon.

So with that in mind, let's get cracking.

The Archived (The Archived, #1)The Archived by Victoria Schwab
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Archived is an eerie fantasy novel by Victoria Schwab. The protagonist, Mackenzie Bishop, has not had the easiest life. Along with losing her younger brother to a hit and run and having to deal with her parents moving them to a hotel-turned-apartment building for a fresh start, she's also a member of the Archive, a place where the histories of the dead are kept organized.

So, I'm rather embarrassed of myself. I bought this book...when it released? Which was, what, 2012? And through no fault of its own (and much of mine--I actually have a problem), I owned so many books at the time that I never really got around to reading it. When I would try, my headspace wouldn't be right for reading it, and I couldn't latch on to it like I needed to. So a while later, it comes up on the Kindle Store for 99 cents. "Less than a cup of coffee," as Victoria said herself. So I got it (before actually owning a Kindle. I do now).

Yesterday afternoon, having finished one book and needing another right away, I picked this up. I finished it this morning. And it blew me away. So much that I'm having to restrain myself from buying The Unbound on my Kindle, because I'll be in the US to buy a physical copy in two days, but I almost can't actually wait that long.

This book made me want to write. Made my fingers itch, made me want to bring a world to life with such tangible clarity as Victoria did. The hotel is practically its own character, and the characters are forces to be reckoned with, regardless of if you ever actually see them or not.

I recognized some of myself within Mackenzie. Granted, I don't have the responsibilities of the afterlife causing my problems, but things she would say, like being the less active friend in a friendship, or not necessarily being able to deal with her parents' fragility. These things seemed to have been pulled out of my head as I was reading the book then and there.

I also thought that the various ways people deal with grief, and grief on its own, were expertly handled. When a loss occurs, no two reactions are the same. Some people want to push forwards in hopes that the loss gets lost underneath it all. Some push on, but let it drain them. Some force themselves to address it. Some let it flow over them, like Wesley lets Noise flow over him. I liked that there was never any solution to the problem of the characters' grief, because there is no solution. You have to let it happen in due course; you have to learn to weather the storm.

Mackenzie and Wesley's friendship is probably my favorite boy-girl YA relationship in a very long time (and not just because Wesley is played by Jess Mariano in my head). There's obvious chemistry between them, but it's never forced. They're friends first, Keeper partners second, and everything else is currently floating in a vague cloud of Potential. This works for me, because sometimes a relationship has to evolve from more than smoldering good looks and kisses that are described in pyrotechnic terms. Sometimes, it can merely start from recognizing a bit of yourself in someone else, and just being content to exist around each other. That being said, I ship these two like Jack Sparrow and the Black Pearl, and if they don't end up together by the end I will be very sad.

I may also be a bit of a dunce, but I didn't actually expect things with Owen to turn out as they did. I was more or less completely blindsided by that, so well done there.

Conclusion? Fantastic novel. I'm kicking myself for taking TWO YEARS to read it (I got it signed, for crying out loud!), and now kicking a bit more that I have to wait TWO DAYS for the next one.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment