Thursday, February 13, 2014

Eleanor & Park

Eleanor & ParkEleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Slight spoilers ahead. You've been warned.

Eleanor and Park can be summed up in one word: unexpected. I didn't expect it to be set in the eighties. I didn't expect Eleanor to be overweight, or for Park to be Korean. And I didn't expect to fall in love with this book as hopelessly as Eleanor and Park fell in love with each other.

I loved the dual perspective from the two main characters. It allowed me to see how uniquely they thought, and at the same time showed me that the two of them often thought so alike (for instance, they both describe each other at one point as looking like art).

The ending was described by Rainbow Rowell as "like a truck hitting a brick wall," and rightly so. I had to reread the last paragraph before I understood what had happened, but once I did, I wanted to cry for happiness and sadness all at once. The ending is so hopeful, and while it stands perfectly on its own, I would inhale a sequel if it were to happen.

Some favorite parts:
-Park's reaction after the gym scene (you know if you've read)
-Park's evolution into punk
-Eleanor finally giving herself permission to love
-School at midnight
-How subtly they fall for each other. They don't realize it until it's too late.

Read it. Read it read it read it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment